See photos (6)

Saint-Denis-sur-Loire

Town, village, neighbourhood in Saint-Denis-sur-Loire
  • Situated on the right bank of the Loire, 6 km from Blois, the village of Saint-Denis-sur-Loire is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Loire Valley. It is also on the "La Loire à Vélo" itinerary. Saint-Denis-sur-Loire comprises six hamlets: Saint-Denis la Ligérienne with the hamlets of Macé, le Bourg and les Mées, and Saint-Denis la Beauceronne with the hamlets of Villeneuve, Villefollet and Villemanzy.

    In addition to its past as a spa town where Catherine de Médicis came to "take the waters",...
    Situated on the right bank of the Loire, 6 km from Blois, the village of Saint-Denis-sur-Loire is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Loire Valley. It is also on the "La Loire à Vélo" itinerary. Saint-Denis-sur-Loire comprises six hamlets: Saint-Denis la Ligérienne with the hamlets of Macé, le Bourg and les Mées, and Saint-Denis la Beauceronne with the hamlets of Villeneuve, Villefollet and Villemanzy.

    In addition to its past as a spa town where Catherine de Médicis came to "take the waters", renowned painters have lived in Saint-Denis-sur-Loire (Bernard Lorjou, Yvonne Mottet and the Muraton family).

    The church:
    This church was built after 1852. Neo-Romanesque in style, it contains a few remnants of the original church, notably the portal capitals and a series of columns with carved capitals in the nave (5 out of 10) in bright, luminous colors. The paintings date from 1883.

    The Château and its grounds:
    A former stronghold built at the foot of the cliff around 1200.
    From the narrow road leading up to the village, you can see the remains of a dovecote and the old surrounding walls. The Château can be admired from the path along the Loire, as well as a magnificent avenue of plane trees.

    Laundries and wells:
    These are one of the visible traces of the commune's past as a water town.
    Numerous wells and three washhouses in the various hamlets line the route of the "Circuit des Eaux".

    La Maison du Colombier :
    The closerie des Mées has medieval origins.

    Le castel de Macé, rue Muraton.
    All these sites are signposted along the "Circuit des Eaux", which starts behind Place Eugène Leroux.